What to Bring

Checklist of Important Documents You Need to Complete the FAFSA

To complete the FAFSA form and later have access to your records, students and parents have to sign it electronically.

Each student must create and utilize a FSA ID (username and password) to sign the FAFSA electronically. If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address. You can request a FSA ID at www.fafsa.gov prior to starting the FAFSA.

If you don’t have every one of the documents listed below, that’s okay. Come to a workshop with the documents that you have and that apply to you.

Parents and students should bring their latest tax information and/or last pay stub from the previous year in order to complete the form. The FAFSA form allows families to estimate their financial information, which can be corrected after their taxes have been completed.

All information reviewed by the CGS volunteers will be kept private and confidential and will not be used for any purpose other than helping the students and families apply for financial aid. Students’ and family identities will be protected to the best extent possible and none of the information being requested will be sent to vendors for other purposes besides applying for aid.

Not all families will have all these documents–but don’t let that stop you from coming. Even if you have no paperwork at all we can help you complete part of the FAFSA.

  • Your FSA ID and your parents’ FSA ID (if dependent)
  • Social Security Number (can be found on Social Security card)
  • Driver’s license (if any)
  • W-2 Forms for the previous year and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) most recent Federal Income Tax Return:
    • IRS Form 1040,
    • 1040A,
    • 1040EZ,
    • 1040Telefile,
    • foreign tax return, or
    • tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia.
  • Parent’s Federal Income Tax Return for the previous year (if you are a dependent student as defined by federal criteria)
  • Untaxed income records for the previous year:
    • Social Security,
    • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families,
    • welfare, or
    • veterans benefits.
  • Current bank statements
  • Current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond, and other investment records
  • Documentation that you are a U.S. permanent resident or other eligible non-citizen.

© 2016 College Goal Sunday Created by leidan